Situated in the center of Carlton Gardens and completed in 1880, the Royal Exhibition Building played host to the Melbourne International Exhibition, the Centennial International Exhibition of 1888, as well as the opening of Federal Parliament in 1901. The wealth, energy and optimism of gold rush-era Victoria is reflected in the grand scale and classical design of this exhibition pavilion. It was the first building in Australia to be awarded UNESCO World Heritage status. The Hochgurtel fountain takes its name from the designer who won the competition to build it. The statues symbolize art, commerce, trade and industry science.