Situated in the center of Carlton Gardens and completed in 1880, the Royal Exhibition Building played host to the Melbourne International Exhibition, the Centennial International Exhibition of 1888, as well as the opening of Federal Parliament in 1901. The wealth, energy and optimism of gold rush-era Victoria is reflected in the grand scale and classical design of this exhibition pavilion. It was the first building in Australia to be awarded UNESCO World Heritage status. With water sprouts for adults and children, and a through for dogs at the bottom, the Westgarth Fountain features kangaroos smoothly carved in Aberdeen granite. It was a gift to the people of Melbourne by pioneer settler William Westgarth in 1888.